Sunday, January 3, 2010

So, What is Mindfulness?

I think it's important to begin simply with the definition of what I am about to explore. According to one of my heroes in the area of mindfulness and meditation, Jon Kabat- Zinn:
“Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way;
    On purpose, in the present moment, and
    nonjudgmentally.
So what have I undertaken for myself, committing to a blog entry every day when I live a very busy life filled with teaching and tutoring. What was I thinking?
Being mindful only takes a shift of thought, a purposeful awareness to stop and think before and while acting. By committing to writing each day, I hope to train myself to stop and smell the flowers ( so cliché but so true!) and to be more in the moment when interacting with the precious 5 year olds I encounter each day. It only takes a moment of insensitivity to say or do something that threatens the trust you have been building with students.  I hope that this journey will lead me to more awareness and self-discipline in my work of building efficacy in young learners.  I also hope to inspire others to take some time to explore the value of incorporating more “mindful” moments in their daily lives.
What is one area you would like to improve in your life? Would increasing your "mindfulness" help you to achieve that goal? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified of follow-up comments, please email me @ joanmancini@yahoo.com.