Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mother's Day: A Time to Thank my Kids

So Mother's Day is approaching and it makes me all teary as I think about how being a mother has been the greatest gift of my life.  Knowing that my kids, Nick (23) and Stefanie (22) have grown up into wonderfully loving, creative, kind, and hardworking adults has made me feel like my life is complete. No, I don't mean that I want to die tomorrow..but I know that if I did, I would have done my most important work in raising two beautiful kids who have so much to offer this world.
So, in honor of Mother's Day, a tribute to my Nick and Tef: the greatest joys of my life.
To Nick, whose messes and experiments must have rivaled the greatest of scientists and led him to the amazing engineering grad student that he is today.
To Stef, whose ability to turn anything borrowed from my closet,craft supply stashes, or kitchen cupboards into an amazing work of art, fashion, or culinary excellence never ceases to amaze me.
To Nick, my renaissance guy, who went from playing piano and guitar by teaching himself, to soccer and football while acing AP exams in all subjects in high school.
To Stef, my thoughtful questioner and dedicated student about to graduate college, always pondering, exploring and analyzing angles of a subject before cranking out amazing papers her professors brag about and use as examples for others.
To Nick and Stef: an incredible sibling support system who helped each other through the craziness of doing the every other weekend visits that my divorce in their early years caused.
To Nick and Stef as loving, supportive kids who keep me up to date on what is happening with them, even if it's through texting, talking online etc.
I could ramble on, and perhaps I will.. next Mother's Day. Thank you for all of the joy. I cherish both of you and savor all of our special times together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified of follow-up comments, please email me @ joanmancini@yahoo.com.